Top Tips to Keep Up the Main Components of Your Yard
Routine maintenance – that tall list of tasks that takes up your valuable weekend time. But, as a homeowner, you power through. You endure. You brave the storm; this is your house and this is your yard!
Because there’s a finite amount of sunlight and hours in each day, Ohio Handyman is here to highlight some of the top tips and tasks you should focus on to improve longevity and prevent costly damage to your outdoor domain.
Border Patrol: Maintaining Your Fence for the Long Run
You’ve installed your fence to fit within the confines of zoning regulations and the neighborhood charter. Time to secure its position as a decorative property line marker and keep it from crumbling. Here’s how you do it:
- Keep It Clean: Start by laying a tarp underneath the fence to protect grass and plants. Proceed to pressure wash the surface with a 25-degree nozzle and cold water while standing about 2 feet away. Once you’ve covered the surface, apply a fence cleaning solution with a brush to get deeper into the boards. Let solution set for 20 minutes before using your pressure washer (set to 2,700 PSI or less) to wash away dirt and grime.
- Seal the Deal: The sun dishes out a lot of damage, but a polyurethane sealant can act as a defensive perimeter for the boards. Apply 2-3 coats to a freshly-cleaned fence for maximum protection.
- What’s The Damage: Hail happens. Branches fall. Errant baseballs find their way into your yard, taking out a piece of your fence. It’s best to tackle these issues as soon as they happen to prevent greater damage! Apply waterproof glue to any new cracks and splits you may notice. Patrol the perimeter and reinforce loose boards with an extra screw or nail. Oh, and have a firm but fair conversation with the neighborhood slugger who hit that wicked line drive into your yard!
Pave The Way: How to Successfully Preserve Your Patio Pavers
That walkway looks like a runaway – and you want to keep it that way! The best course of action to protect your patio pavers is to routinely perform the following tasks:
- Sweep Stakes: A mindless task, sweeping up outside can be your first line of defense from cracking and weather. Break out the broom once a week to brush away the brush and keep your walkway looking clean.
- Apply Pressure: Don’t put that pressure washer away just yet! Once a month, use it to clean deeper into the cracks and wash away any “nature” that could be a catalyst for weeds and paver shifting.
- Weed It Out: If you’ve noticed any weeds starting to pop up between pavers, pluck them, pressure wash the area and apply an organic de-weeding solution for a stronger defense.
- Blemish, Begone: Natural weathering and spilled wine can spell disaster for your yard’s aesthetic appeal. Luckily, you can use a diluted, mild detergent and a wire brush to remove these eyesores.
- Keep It Together: In nature, separation is natural. That’s why you should apply a paver sealant every 2-3 years, depending on how well you’ve diligently performed the above tasks and the current condition of the walkway.
All Hands On Deck: Tips to Upkeep Your Patio
Ah, the patio. Your home outside of home. Your chill spot. The place where your friends and family gather to enjoy the great outdoors and live life together. To help extend the shelf life of your deck, we offer the following tips:
- Business Is Brooming: As with walkways, sweeping your patio on the regular should be a part of your ongoing maintenance plan.
- A Closer Look: At least once a year, inspect the boards of your deck. Repair any nails that may be sticking out and reinforce any loose boards.
- A Closer Clean: Remember that pressure washer? Yep – it’s time to use it once again! Once a year, remove all patio furniture and perform a deep cleanse, washing away any dirt and grime that have accumulated over time. After this process, apply an acid-based deck restoration solution to bring back the vibrancy and deal with the mildew without damaging the infrastructure.
Call In The Pros: Leave Some Things Up to the Experienced Specialists
Try as you might, you can’t always do everything yourself! That’s where your local home handyman can step in. If you noticed, we didn’t mention fence installation, skipped past patio repair and glossed over deck staining. These are major components of your backyard projects that depend heavily on experienced planning and a steady hand. If your fence isn’t installed properly, no amount of upkeep will save it from its eventual downfall. And if you don’t have much experience staining, you could end up with an eyesore instead of your field of dreams. Calling in the professionals could save you time and money in the long run.
Your Ohio Handyman that Does Fences, Staining & Deck Repair
If you’re located in Ohio and need someone to help with your next deck staining, fence installation or home repair, Ohio Handyman can be there! Our team can handle it all, including paver patio installation, wood trim replacement and even the power washing that you really just don’t want to do. Rest easy – we’ve got your back(yard).